Field Guide to the Spiders of South Africa
Thoroughly revised and updated, this long-awaited new edition of Field Guide to the Spiders of South Africa remains the most comprehensive guide to South African spiders published to date. It features over 780 of the more common spider species encountered
in the field and in homes and gardens, as well as representative species from some of the rarer spider families.
• ‘Quick Keys’ to the 72 South African spider families provide a useful starting point to identification.
• Succinct genus and species accounts cover identifying characteristics, breeding, behaviour, distribution and conservation status.
• Colour photographs and/or illustrations as well as distribution maps support each entry.
• Introductory chapter discusses spider morphology, spider life cycle, the functions of silk, as well as spider collection techniques.
• Section on venom identifies species that pose a danger to humans, unpacks neurotoxic and cytotoxic venom, and details the symptoms and treatment of spider bites.