Marine Mammals – Guide to the Whales, Dolphins and Seals of Southern Africa and the Southern Ocean
The is easy-to-use identification guide to the whales, dolphins and seals found in Southern African waters and the Southern Ocean is compact yet comprehensive. Close to 50 species occur in the region: from the demonstrative Humpback Whale and Dusky Dolphin to the striking Leopard Seal and massive Blue Whale. This book:
- Covers key identification features, behaviour, diet and distribution
- Includes best times and places to view more commonly seen species
- Explains breaching, spyhopping, lob-tailing, bow-surfing, logging and other common behaviours
- Features detailed illustrations of diagnostic characteristics
- Includes the diving outlines, breathing ‘blow’ and tail shapes of common whales
- Unpacks marine mammals’ evolutionary background and remarkable adaptations to aquatic life.
An easy-to-use, beautifully illustrated guide to all the whale, dolphin and seal species in the region.